Monday, October 26, 2009

Chapter 3: New Puppy Advice

My dog-mom and dad's humans, Michael and Karen sent my hu-mom and hu-man home with a file folder filled with my "history", my schedule, advice, and me....



My history included information about my dog-mom and dad's pedigree, and my operation, shot and medical information to date.

My schedule...
And advice...

Since my hu-mom and hu-man had never had a puppy before, Michael and Karen wanted to make sure that we would "adjust" well to one another, so they gave my hu-mom and hu-man the following advice....

  1. They said that if I ever chewed up something that I wasn't supposed to, peed inside the house, or did something that I wasn't supposed to, my hu-mom and hu-man should roll up a newspaper and....(oh I know what you are thinking, but wait...) they should whack themselves on the side of the head with it, because they are the humans and it is up to them to provide a "puppy-proof" environment, let me out when I should be let out, and provide a nurturing environment for me.

  2. They also encouraged my hu-mom and hu-man to touch and massage my paws, so I would be used to the touch and wouldn't go ballistic when it was times to get my nails clipped.

  3. They also had the same advice for touching and massaging my ears, so ear-cleaning wouldn't be traumatic.

  4. They also showed my hu-mom and hu-man to touch my muzzle, clean my eyes, and open my mouth and dig things out, that shouldn't be there -- (I gave them plenty of opportunity to practice this one in those early days!) All of this was designed to get my hu-mom and hu-man used to touching me...and me getting used to them touching me, so that when I was a "big" dog, I wouldn't growl at or bite them when I saw them coming near my face.

  5. Michael and Karen told my hu-mom and hu-man that I was smart, so they should challenge me, give me plenty of time and attention, and most of all love.

And it is with the above information and advice that we started our new live together....

No comments: